This activity reinforces positive self-image, making the truth of our God-given identity into something we can base our self worth on. It’s perfect for every age, from the youngest who are just discovering who they are to teenagers who are being told something different by the world around them. This activity is also a great way to develop friendships within a group, creating the opportunity to encourage each other. The album One Of A Kind explores this and is a great one to listen to and sing while you do this activity.
The affirmations that are stuck around the faces are a combination of general character traits and talents and Bible verses. Here are some of the Bible verses used in the example activity but you can use any you can find!
In God’s family - Hebrews 2:11
A child of God - 1John 3:1
Forgiven - Acts 10:43
God’s masterpiece - Ephesians 2:10
Chosen by God - Ephesians 1:4
Fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalm 139:14
Always with God - Philippians 4:5
Protected by angels - Psalm 91:11
Heard by God - 1 John 5:14
Jesus’ joy - Hebrews 12:2
Loved by God - John 3:16
Known by God - Psalm 139:1
You will need:
Large roll of paper
Scissors or knife
Then follow these simple steps:
1. Draw round the child’s head and shoulders
2. Cut out a space for them see their face through when it is stuck to a mirror, decorate the paper
3. Cut out lots of coloured paper (or use post-its)
4. Write affirmations and Bible verses about each other on the paper
5. Stick these around the head and shoulders
6. Stick the paper to a mirror. If you’re doing this at home, this can stay on a mirror they use often. Spend time talk about the affirmations and encourage your child to read them every time they look in the mirror.